The city of Jamshedpur is commonly known as "The Steel City". It is the largest city of the Jharkhand state. Sometimes Jamshedpur is called "Tatanagar". This is because it houses the industrial giants Tata Steel and the Tata Motors.
The city of Jamshedpur is located on the Chota Nagpur Plateau in the East Singhbhum district of the Jharkhand state in India. The city is named after his founder Jamsetji Nusserwanji Tata. It is one of the well developed and well maintained cities of India. It is famous for its big Industries, renowned educational institutes for the well planned township. The quality of life of the people here is of high standards and it can be seen by the roads, infrastructure and sanitation of the city.
The city has the privilege to be selected as one of the UN Global Compact Cities.
Well-known industries of Jamshedpur:
- Indian Steel & Wire Products
- Tata Electric Company
- Tata Motors
- Tata Pigments
- Tata Ryerson, etc.
- Tata Steel
- Usha Martin Industries
Famous personalities of Jamshedpur are:
- Jamshetji Nusserwanji Tata:he was the one who laid the foundation of Steel and iron industry in the Jamshedpur city.
- Sir Dorabji Tata: He was the son of Jamshetji Nusserwanji Tata and was the first chairman of the TATA enterprise.
- Jehangir Ratanji Dadabhai Tata: He is known for introducing the air transport in India. It is currently known as Air India. In 1992 he was awarded Bharat Ratna for this.
Popular must see places in Jamshedpur:
- Jubille Park: The Jubille Park in Jamshedpur is built on the pattern of the Brindavan garden in Bangalore. The park is covering an area of about 200 acres. The TATA Steel Company gifted this park to the people of the Jamshedpur city on the Golden Jubilee celebration of the TATA Steels. There is an amusement park, rose garden and a beautiful lake here that attracts the visitors. The beautiful musical fountain in the center of the park is also very attractive.
- Hudco Lake: It is a manmade lake and an artificial waterfall located in the hilly area of the Telco colony.
- JRD Tata Sports Complex: It is a major sports complex in India. There is a football ground here which is of International size and it has a mono-synthetic track of eight lanes. It was founded in the year 1937.